3 Signs a Home May Have Mold Problems, 5-part Series: Part 1, Introduction

By in
3 Signs a Home May Have Mold Problems, 5-part Series: Part 1, Introduction

Thinking of buying a new home? You’ll consider this information helpful.

Thinking of selling your home? Then the last thing you probably want to think of is mold. In fact, you may want to run screaming from here like we have the plague.

As you’ll see, though, mold problems are serious. While it’s true that “ignorance is bliss” in many areas of life, it’s generally not true when it comes to your home and your health.

This five-part series on mold problems will alert you to things to be on the lookout for, whether you’re buying, selling, or simply wanting to live out your days in your current home. This is information with the potential to impact your health, wealth, and happiness.

Like it or not, mold issues are only increasing. Being aware of what this may or may not mean to you and your loved ones is critical.

For example, did you know that mildew is mold in its early stages? It’s fairly common for people to think that mildew is something harmless that can just be wiped away.

You may even remember your mom saying, “Oh, that’s just mildew.” Today’s translation of that would be, “That’s just a little mold.”

Most people can still wipe just a little mold away and wash it down the drain or throw the paper towel in the basket with little concern. For a growing number, however, a little mold adds up to big trouble.

Again, there’s no need to be alarmed. We do want you to be concerned, though. There are many reasons for the need to be aware of mold’s ability to affect your health and pocketbook. Learning about them may help you avoid them.

Did you know that both mildew and mold will develop within 24-48 hours of water damage? Some people have become sensitized to it. That means that they don’t easily recover from symptoms and that smaller amounts of the things that caused a reaction make them feel worse faster.

It’s essential to understand is that mildew and mold will continue growing until the source of moisture and the mold is addressed. While you can handle some of these cleanup jobs yourself, there are some you should not tackle due to asthma and allergies, or mold sensitization in family members.

Mold contains microscopic spores that contain Mycotoxins, which make people sick. When disturbed, these spores can easily spread throughout the home due to air management systems. The problems that can develop may remain invisible for a long time until circumstances are right for them to appear.

In Part 2 of this series, we address symptoms that may mean mold is present. In Part 3, we discuss smells that you may notice. In Part 4, we alert you to sights you may not recognize as an indication of mold. In Part 5, we wrap it all up with actions you can take to assess the best course of action for you and your loved ones.

Like us on Facebook ~ Follow us on Twitter