Humidity refers to the amount of moisture in the air in your home. The water vapor content in the air varies from place to place and from time to time. With an average relative humidity of 70%, the Twin Cities metro area can get pretty humid during the spring and summer months. It’s imperative that you maintain the right level of humidity in your home.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends an indoor humidity level of 30-50%. Overly damp, humid air in your home is not only uncomfortable — and unhealthy — but can also lead to damage in your home. High home humidity is often associated with problems such as water damage and mold growth. Here are five common signs of excess humidity in your home.
Musty Smell in Your Basement
Do you notice a musty odor whenever you go into your basement? An unpleasant, musty smell in your basement, crawl space, entrance, attic, or garage may signal the presence of mold and mildew. It’s often the basement that suffers from high humidity in many homes. If your basement feels damp all the time, you might want to have it checked out for water damage.
Interior build-up of moisture on windows and walls, often referred to as condensation, is a telltale sign that your home is too humid. If you see water beading on interior surfaces often, there’s a good chance that you have too much moisture in your home. The build-up of moisture in your house can rot wooden parts, compromising your home’s structural integrity.
Rippled Pictures in Frames
Another common sign of high humidity is rippled framed pictures or art. Framed pictures are vulnerable to water damage if the moisture in the air is absorbed into the paper. The wooden frame could also warp over time. In most cases, water damage to framed pictures and other art pieces in your home occurs due to high humidity levels; usually humidity that has been present for a longer period of time.
Mold spots on the ceiling and walls indicate too much moisture in the air inside your home. Mold and mildew will often follow the dampness in your home. Wherever the moisture builds up, mold will grow. If you see mold spots on floors, ceilings, and walls, you’ve got high humidity in your home.
Consistently Moist and Clammy Air in Your Home
Does your home feel moist and clammy all the time? There’s probably too much moisture in the air. Damp air is one of the most noticeable signs of excess humidity level in a home. You may feel hotter, stickier, and extremely uncomfortable indoors due to the excess moisture.
Make Your Home Less Humid
You can accurately measure the level of humidity in your home using an inexpensive ($5) tool known as a hygrometer. A hygrometer is a handy tool for controlling humidity levels in your home to prevent mold growth and water damage. If you find there’s too much humidity in your home, there are several steps you can take to remedy the excess moisture.
While a dehumidifier can help you prevent further damage, it’s probably not a lasting solution for your moisture problem. You need to get the air circulating in your home by ensuring that your HVAC system is working correctly. Next, take care of any stagnant water in your basement. Check your sump pump to make sure it’s working, and waterproof your basement with interior drain tiles to help navigate rain flow.
If you see mold, rotting wood, and any other sign of excess moisture in your home, the EPA recommends quick action to address the root cause. Green Clean Restoration & Cleaning Services can help you clean, repair, and restore your Twin Cities, MN, home from mold, mildew, and water damage. Contact us for more information on our professional cleaning services.
-Green Clean Team