Kitchen Fires – Staying Kitchen Safe

By in
Kitchen Fires – Staying Kitchen Safe

Kitchen, a place where families and friends gather to share memories and meals, and yet the most common room to have the #1 leading cause for house fires.  The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that 3 in 10 home fires start in the kitchen and can be avoided by following prevention and fire guidelines.

Prevention Tips

  • Always take a few extra minutes to clean and wipe up spills on the stove.  Keep combustible materials such as dish towels and pot holders away from burners.
  • Do NOT wear loose sleeves when cooking because sleeves dangling can cause a fire; either secure the sleeves or change shirts.
  • If you need to leave the kitchen, even for a moment, turn down the burner(s) and carry something with you such as a wooden spoon or spatula as a reminder that you need to return quickly.
  • Once you’ve finished cooking, check that you’ve turned off all burners and other appliances.
  • DO NOT mix kids and cooking.  Keep kids away from the stove and NEVER hold a small child when cooking.  If possible, use stove’s back burners and turn pot handles to the center or back of the stove to decease the chances of a child grabbing the handle and pulling off the stove.
  • DO NOT plug too many kitchen appliances into the same electrical outlet; this could overload the circuit causing a fire.
  • DO NOT use an extension cord to plug in microwave ovens – plug directly into an outlet.

When a fire starts:

In many cases, the best action when a kitchen fire starts is to evacuate the house.  Here are some helpful tips on how to handle certain types of kitchen fires:

  • Grease Fire: for a small grease fire that starts in a pan or skillet, use a potholder or oven mitt to slide a lid over the pan.  Once lid is on, turn off the burner.  The lid on the pan will cut off the oxygen to the fire, and it will go out on its own.  DON’T remove the lid from the pan until the pan has completely cooled.  DO NOT USE WATER ON A GREASE FIRE.
  • Oven Fire: for oven fires, turn off heat and keep the door closed.  Call the Fire Department in case the flames from the oven spread.
  • Microwave Fire: for fire in a microwave, keep door closed and unplug if you can do so safely.  Call Fire Department to report fire.  DO NOT USE UNTIL PROPERLY SERVICED.

**IF YOU DON’T FEEL COMFORTABLE FIGHTING THE FIRE OR IT’S TOO BIG TO FIGHT, CLOSE OFF THE ROOM AND LEAVE IMMEDIATELY – CALL FIRE DEPARTMENT FROM NEIGHBOR’S HOME**

Green Clean has 24/7 response team to investigate, restore and renew your home from damaging fires.