Mold & Water – Enemies of the Home

By in

Water – the single most long-term destructive substance in the indoor environment.  It dissolves and weakens many materials and supports the growth of microorganisms.  When a water emergency occurs, quick reaction to seepage, spillage, flooding or backups can save valuable property from direct water damage as well as destruction from microbial growth.  The LONGER any kind of water damage goes untreated, the GREATER the damage and the LARGER the expense.

Moisture control is the key to mold control.  When moisture problems occur and mold growth results, occupants in both residential and commercial buildings may report odors and a variety of health problems, such as headaches, breathing difficulties, skin irritation, allergic reactions and aggravation of asthma symptoms.

Mold spores are microscopic and are naturally present in both indoor and outdoor air.  Mold uses spores to reproduce and spread itself along many different materials, including walls, baseboards, furniture, as well as behind wallpaper, ceiling tiles, under carpets and pads, and ductwork. Spores remain able to grow for years after they are produced – if you feel mold spores are within your home – please contact Vickie Swenson with Minnesota Mold Inspections to test the mold spore count.

Tips to Prevent Mold

  • When water leaks or spills occur indoors – ACT QUICKLY!  Microbial (viruses, parasites, fungi, bacteria) growth can begin immediately, with mold growth within 24-72 hours.
  • Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so water doesn’t collect or enter into the foundation.
  • If you see condensation or moisture collection on windows, walls or pipes –ACT QUICKLY to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source.
  • Reduce humidity – below 60, although ideally between 30-50% relative humidity.
  • Increase ventilation and air movement by opening doors and/or windows when practical.